kofi

Friday 5 June 2020

Avocado seed flotation device

This one is even less serious than the previous project, but here goes.

More or less at the same time as Kirill finished writing his story Flor, I’ve started an avocado seed germination project. The illustration in the story was drawn from life. I was really surprised how fast it went – the seed cracked next day already, and a little root appeared within two or three days. We, along with all of Spain, were in quarantine situation, so a lot of attention was paid to small things. The speed may have something to do with the fact that the pear was local, ripe and that we live in appropriate climate.

I can’t tell you exactly how long it took for the root to start touching the bottom of the first glass I used. I changed it to a taller glass, but the root pretty quickly reached the bottom, too. A small stem, or maybe a leaf, we have to wait and see, appeared from the crack.

It became clear that something needs to be done again, so I figured that maybe we can made use of a collection of corks we have in our house. We have a lot of strange stuff in our house, that’s for sure.

And here you have it. The corks are joined together by jewelry wire, another thing which was knocking about the house more or less forever. There are two rings of wire, to fix the corks on flat ring.

The little wine cork float was made by Kirill and not by me. Just saying.

Now, the next stage I am not at all sure about. It will need planting soon, I imagine, but we don’t have a garden, so... don’t know what to do.

It might decide to die, of course, like the one in the story, which will be a sad but easy ending to the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment