kofi

Sunday 25 September 2016

Renaissance ruff collar

I keep thinking up and trying out various types of 3D-knitting where the volume is created by the tendency of stockinette stitch to curl in and the reverse stockinette stitch — not unexpectedly — out. My previous attempt to utilize this property of the basic knitting stitches can be seen here.

This time I decided to do something a bit more complicated. I find the result interesting and reminiscent of a Renaissance ruff, but I think I need to a) overcome my dislike of knitting samples next time and b) generally work more on the idea. As with the previous version, it is reversible. Explanations to follow.

So. This time one ball of wool (schoppel wolle lace ball) was used. The knitting consisted of ridges (simply 9 rows of reverse stockinette) and wedges (stockinette). Each wedge was made by lengthening the row by 4 stitches, turning the knitting around, knitting or purling according to pattern to the edge, turning the work, increasing the row by 4 stitches, etc, till the wedge grew to meet the other edge.

Side where the ridges are in reverse stockinette

I am not sure this is understandable though. Ok, so another attempt. Let's say you start your scarf with 9 rows of reverse stockinette. Last row will be all-purl, right? You turn he knitting as usual, and start purling on this side, too. Just 4 stitches of purl, wrap your yarn around stitch on the left needle without knitting or purling it, turn your work and knit the 4 stitches. The wrapping reduces the size of a hole you are going to have at the turning point. Do the same with the next two rows, except now purl 8 stitches, turn, etc. The wedge will grow and grow till it meets the other side, i.e. you turn your work as you normally would. Knit to the end. You've made the first wedge. Start with the ridge, do the 9 rows, start with the new wedge. Hope this is clearer somewhat.

Side where the *wedges* are in reverse stockinette

I finished the knitting when I realized I don't have enough yarn to make the neckwear to go twice around my neck. I made a crochet cast-on with spare yarn, so now I unraveled the cast-on and joined the ends stitch by stitch (not sure what it is called in English, in Russian it is "трикотажный шов")

Here our son, who has long neck and perfect face shape is modeling for me

Now, the problems with the result: for my neck it is too wide and starts to open up at the top, giving me the appearance of Elizabeth the First without her sharp perfect chin. So, if I were to repeat the scarf for myself, I would make it narrower and longer, so it can go twice around my neck.

And it looks good on him :)

The scarf is reversible, of course.

To show off the ridges
To show off the wedges.

Knitted things on Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment