Thursday, 9 February 2012
We had a small sandstorm a few weeks back, possibly calima, possibly something more local. Timur requested a scarf in his school colors to keep it over his mouth and nose if it was ever to occur again. I made it for him very quickly, and today he worn it again - more for coldish strong wind than for sand.
I couldn't find the origins of a "baktus" scarf, but that seems to be the right spelling at least. If you never seen them before - they are very long narrow triangles, very easy to tie. This is a very basic model, all-knit keeping to shape.
knitting pics at shutterstock
Thursday, 2 February 2012
This time is a simple Moebius scarf I made. It's proved to be surprisingly easy once I found this excellent video for the cast-on part. There's no pattern to it, just simple "knit-all" - that is, till I got somewhat bored and decided to do a ruffled edge. I didn't want my ruffle to be too obvious, so I decided that I will add one stitch per each three in every second row. However, even that adds stitches very quickly. Say you start with 200 stitches, you have 267 approx after the first row of added stitches, 356 after the second one, and 475 after the third - that is, more than twice the original amount of stitches. I like how the edge turned out, but it's a lot of knitting to do.